Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Heroes

Above all I made it through that 33 hour labor with tons of love and support. My birth team was a dream.
Sara: Cathy’s apprentice. Because she lives only a few blocks from me she was there for me at a moments notice. During pregnancy she helped me feel like I was awesome at growing a baby! She came to me in early labor and rubbed all the parts of me to help labor start. She was excited with me and enforced the positive energy in the apartment. 
 Kellee: my doula AND sister who was with me every step of the way, in pregnancy, labor and the birth. She hasn’t attended a ton of births yet, but she is the kind of doula you want. She entertains you, talks to you, relieves your pain, holds you, makes eye contact always. She encouraged me in all the right ways. She knew what I wanted and honored it. She is open minded and unselfish. If you want her as your doula let me know.
 
Brittany: The Photographer/Best Friend. I never realized how important documentation of this event would be to me. Brittany was the perfect addition to the group. She was in the action getting the perfect photo. But she was also my incredible constant friend, which she has always been ever since I’ve known her. She was there the longest, entertaining anxious Paul and I on Sunday evening to the final photos of Yosemite’s footprints. She was lighthearted and could make me laugh. She also pointed out many of the precious moments that happened as they came, and later when she brought me the photos and even wrote her own perspective on my birth. 


Cathy: My midwife. From day one she trusted my body to do what the female body has done for eons. She calmed my nerves every time I worried about things from too much exercise to my low iron levels. When the labor happened she was always calm. She was hands off in a way that reinforced the idea that me and my body were doing exactly what they should be doing. She knew when to call for help and relied upon her midwife community, a community where women will jump out of bed at 4 in the morning to come stitch up a complete stranger.
Lori: My mama. She was just what a women needs in the baring of her first child. She set about (with Becky) making food for everyone throughout the 33 hours. She even made meals to freeze for Paul and I later. She, knowing me very well, never discouraged me and gave me perfect encouragement. Looking back at the time when I was worried I couldn’t have her there because she might have negative suggestions is so foreign to me now, I needed her and she was wonderful. 
 Becky: Paul’s mom. She was a last minute addition to our team, asking me on Sunday afternoon if she could just be there, in the other room. Of course she was welcome and as soon as labor really was going on Monday I felt comfortable with her there and told her to be in the room. She was a huge support for Paul. He was tired and doing everything he could for me so Becky rubbed his back and made sure he was fed and happy. She never criticized the process of home birth, even though I knew she worried for me. After the birth she was able to stay the rest of the night and hold Yosemite while Paul slept and I was stitched up.
 

Liz: The last minute magic midwife. She came at Cathy’s call in the middle of the night and filled our home with a new warm energy. She, as a finishing student, was creative and incredibly helpful. She brought a fresh breath to all the team so that we could pull together and finish the birth successfully. I will never forget her steady eye contact that calmed my soul. So grateful Cathy called on Liz to help.


Paul: My Rock, My Husband, My everything. Paul was just magnificent, when I started my research on labor and birth he was ready to learn it all with me. He took a hypnobirthing class with me. He encouraged me to research all my options. When I got anxious about things he helped me feel like everything was okay. When I was in labor he was Kellee’s equal in Doula-ship. And even more he had the strength to hold my tired body at every turn. He walked with me, rubbed me, held me, sang with me, blessed me. He knew what was going on and never was afraid. He had the courage I needed, and I gained that from him when he looked in my eyes. I love that man, everyday I love him more. When I look at Yosemite I fall in love with her Dad. 

1 comment:

Reesa Cornwall said...

I am filled with such joy when I read about your experience of bringing your sweet little Yosemite into this world. Thanks for sharing about it, I love it so! You are amazing!